Saturday, March 28, 2009

Saturday' Good Deed: Measuring your Eco-footprint


I have been so busy with other stuff in my life that I rarely have time to blog. Before the spring break I encountered a site by Conservation International that allows you to measure your eco-footprint, not just carbon footprint that everyone talks about. In fact, there is another 'footprint' we can measure--water footprint. I like the idea that CI calls it 'eco-footprint,' because carbon and water and whatever thing that would become popular next are interconnected in some ways. I tested by eco-footprint and I got 44 (not sure out of how many points) and it says I am living green and but still have a way to achieve a totally green, sustainable lifestyle. Not bad I guess.

I am still not sure by 'measuring' our eco-footprint it would bring more people to be more conscious about their impact on the environment than not. Sure, for people who are conscious about the environmental issues, they would attempt to do their best to cut their eco-footprint. However, for people who don't give a damn about the environment, they would see this as a tool by the environmentalists to restrain them from having a better lifestyle. I think it is better to tie eco-footprint to the economic impact on people's wallet's as well so that people know this is not about environment, but also their bottom line. Google's PowerMeter is one of the correct steps by the mega-corporation to show that connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment